By Caitlin Croft
The Jan. 8 meeting of the Ellicottville Central School Board of Education opened with the Superintendent’s Report and Middle School/High School Report.
The three robotics teams that recently competed in the FIRST LEGO League competition at Houghton College qualified to move to the next round in Rochester.
Two of the three teams came in the top 15, finishing in 7th and 11th at the Rochester Competition. They will not move on to the next event.
“To have two teams finish so well from our smaller school district is a huge accomplishment,” said District Superintendent Robert Miller. “The students worked very hard and we should all be proud of their results.”
Miller is currently looking to address gaps in video surveillance throughout the school. There was a discussion on a report from the CDC that has declared e-cigarettes an epidemic among youths. There will be a letter drafted and sent out to parents in the next newsletter to inform them of the crisis.
Elementary Principal Maren Bush reported that Project Christmas was a success. Non-perishable items, turkeys, perishable items and presents were collected and donated to families in need around the area.
“It was a great event and so good to see so much parent volunteering and involvement,” Bush said.
In addition to Project Christmas, another successful holiday event was the Senior Citizen Lunch. The faculty will be reading Reading Reflex and discussing how it can be implemented at a working Faculty Meeting.
In Old Business, the Buildings, Grounds and Transportation Committee met about flooring to replace the damaged areas from the flood in the basement of the elementary wing.
Plans are progressing, so the committee feels it is best to take time to come up with the best solution as opposed to a quick fix.
In New Business, the school board approved:
• the 2019-20 Budget Preparation Calendar;
• the September through December 2018 fire drills and lockdown drills at ECS;
• Judy Brown (retroactive) as a volunteer in elementary classrooms for the 2018-19 school year; and
• Lucas Yerpe-Stock (St. Bonaventure University) to complete his student teaching from Jan. 24 through March 15.
Under Personnel, the school board:
• accepted a letter of resignation from Rebecca Nannen, effective Jan. 26, 2019;
• approved Dan LaCroix as a videographer for boys and girls basketball for the 2018-19 school year;
• approved Deb McGowan to the position of Drama Club (Assistant Director, Choreographer) for the 2018-19 school year;
• approved Lucas Yerpe-Stock to the position of Drama Club (Assistant Director, Accompanist) for the 2018-19 school year;
• approved Andrea Crowley to the substitute school nurse list, substitute teacher aide and substitute cafeteria worker list; and
• approved Nicole Bower to the substitute school nurse list, substitute teacher list.
The next regular meeting of the Ellicottville Board of Education is scheduled for Feb. 5 at 7 p.m. in the middle school/high school library.