Sunday , May 26 2019
Breaking News

Category Archives: Community

Feed Subscription

MacQueen recognized as Outstanding Nordic Patroller at reception

By Deb Everts Mary MacQueen, who serves as patrol director and instructor for the Allegany State Park (ASP) Nordic Ski Patrol, was honored at a reception at the Red House Administration Building, Jan. 26. On behalf of the over 28,000 members of the National Ski Patrol (NSP) System, the event officially recognized her as she was presented with the National ... Read More »

Men’s Day at HoliMont is Friday

By Greg Culver Special to the Times Winter has returned to Ellicottville, just in time for one of the biggest parties of the season at HoliMont.  Men’s Day 2019 will be held Friday, Feb. 1 and has a lot to offer all day long, including ski races, sports celebrities paired up with ski race teams, corn hole competitions, adult bike ... Read More »

Ellicottville completes sweep of Franklinville

By Shawn Campbell Special to the Times To pull off a rare sweep in one of the Big 30’s fiercest boys basketball rivalries, all Ellicottville had to do was think back to its first meeting with Franklinville.  In the Eagles’ 51-35 win on Jan. 4, they overcame a 9-0 deficit. On Thursday, Jan. 24, they faced a 7-0 hole when ... Read More »

Men’s Day at HoliMont is Feb. 1 One of the Biggest Parties of the Season!

By Greg Culver, HoliMont Marketing Director Winter has returned to Ellicottville, just in time for one of the biggest parties of the season at HoliMont. Men’s Day 2019 has a lot to offer to all day long, including ski races — with prizes, of course! — sports celebrities paired up with ski race teams, corn hole competitions, adult bike races ... Read More »

MacQueen named National Outstanding Nordic Patroller for 2018

By Deb Everts Mary MacQueen, patrol director and instructor for Allegany State Park’s (ASP) Nordic Ski Patrol, has been chosen by the National Ski Patrol to receive the “National Outstanding Nordic Patroller for 2018” award. She will be presented with the award at a ceremony held in her recognition at Allegany State Park’s Red House Administration Building, Jan. 26. MacQueen ... Read More »

After freezing weekend, more winter weather on the way

By Kellen M. Quigley Some of the heaviest snowfall of the season hit Cattaraugus County this past weekend, with accumulations of over a foot in most places. Jon Hitchcock, meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Buffalo, reported Sunday that Ellicottville was buried under about 15 inches of snow, while nearby Little Valley received 13 inches. These conditions were excellent ... Read More »

An ECS student’s thoughts on an autopsy

By Louisa Benatovich, Student Reporter As I entered the morgue, the smell didn’t bother me…and that kind of bothered me. Here I was, on a sunny Friday afternoon, in the sterile morgue of Olean General Hospital, and I was unaffected, excited even. On the table in front of me, a body lay in anatomical position. It looked so real, unlike ... Read More »

Empire State Winter Games Torch Relay to set off from Ellicottville on Jan. 27

By Kellen M. Quigley The torch relay for the 39th Empire State Winter Games will wind its way through Ellicottville on Sunday, Jan. 27 on its way to Lake Placid for the opening ceremony. Holiday Valley will host a torch relay send-off party from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. in the Training Center.  “If everything works, they’re going to be running ... Read More »

Scroll To Top